From our beginnings in 1883, then known as "Heaton Mortuary", service and dedication to the families of Lincoln past and Lincoln present are the foundation from which we have grown.
R.O. Hodgman, who bought the mortuary from James Heaton, continued the vision of serving our community by merging with William Splain and Heath Griffiths who operated Splain-Schnell & Griffiths Mortuary to form Hodgman-Splain-Schnell & Griffiths Mortuary in 1942 operating from 1335 L street.
In 1944 Heath Griffiths left the firm and the name was changed to Hodgman-Splain Mortuary which continued to meet the needs of a growing Lincoln community. 1952 brought more change when Wayne Reese, Earl Christiansen, John Maser Jr. and John Love purchased the business.
To further meet the needs of the time, the mortuary was moved to a new building located at 4040 A Street in 1962. John Maser Jr. sold his stock to his son Ken Maser in 1966. Progress prompted more growth in 1967 when Hodgman-Splain acquired Roberts Mortuary creating Hodgman-Splain-Roberts Mortuary.
1976 brought more change when Wayne Reese sold his stock to his son-in-law LeRoy Butherus and in 1983 when John Love sold his stock to his son Jim Love. Earl Christiansen sold his stock to the other three stockholders in 1984 and the name was changed to Butherus, Maser and Love Funeral Home. In 1999, LeRoy Butherus sold his stock to his son-in-law Patrick McCashland.